Thursday, 15 July 2010

Who are they?

Hello to everyone on this sunny Thursday afternoon,

So, we know that the field base team are often a mysterious entity, working feverishly in the background from the secret location of the Raleigh house. With this in mind, we decided to carry out a series of short interviews so you could all get to know a bit more about just what makes each of us tick.

Introducing, in no particular order, the fieldbase team.....

Abby Kirby, Administrator

 1) What is your role at field base?
I am the administrator for expeditions 10D and 10I – I shuffle paper

2) What three things could you not live without?
• My iPod with cheesy music on it
• The colour pink
• Coffee – how boring...

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
Alan Carr...because he would be able to use his teeth to break the bamboo that would be needed for our hammocks and he would make me laugh

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
It’s a culture which I hadn’t experienced before and because I want a ginger orang-utan

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
Tinned sardines


Oonagh Hayes, Team Coach

1) What is your role at field base?
I am the team coach so I’m here to make sure PMs and other staff feel happy and confident working with young people – I also make a blinding cup of tea.

2) What three things could you not live without?
• Music – any apart from thrash metal and trance (it’s not really music is it??)
• Crisps – I’ve tried my best but can’t manage without frazzles and quavers
• My contact lenses/glasses - I’m as blind as a bat without them

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
Gerard Butler...because you’d just have to look at him and everything would be ok...he also looks like he could wrestle a clouded leopard if the need arose...

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
This is my second expedition in Borneo. It’s an incredibly beautiful place with amazing wildlife and the friendliest people I’ve ever met.

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
The cheese. It’s indestructible as it doesn’t go off – despite being sat in 30-40 degree heat for weeks on end – amazing!!


Mac McCarthy, Country Programme Manager

1) What is your role at field base?
I’m in charge of the day-to-day delivery of the expedition and getting people to make me cups of tea...

2) What three things could you not live without?
• Tea
• My family and friends, who I don’t get to see enough of
• Middlesborough Football Club

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
Ernest Shackleton – he’s an inspirational leader who would be useful in a crisis and who is a bit of a hero of mine.

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
It being the friendliest place on earth

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
Raleigh rations! You’re joking – why would I eat that??


Yolanda Graham, Recruitment, Support and Media Co-ordinator

1) What is your role at field base?
I don’t know...

2) What three things could you not live without?
• Air conditioning
• A shower
• DVD player

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
A butler – because he would be able to do everything for me

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
I’m from here so I didn’t have a choice...

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
Tuna


Dr Nick Johnson, Medic

1) What is your role at field base?
Field base medic and consumer of Pringles

2) What three things could you not live without?
• Michael Jackson’s music
• My stethoscope
• Coffee – and no, I’m not copying Abby...

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
My dad – because he could see what I’m doing over here instead of being a doctor

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
Its brand of cream crackers

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
Banana chips on trek


Jim Clements, Country Director

1) What is your role at field base?
Chief food taster

2) What three things could you not live without?
• A Bravo
• Tea
• Dim Sum

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
Myself – that’ll mean there’s more food to go round

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
Everything – the incredible diversity of the culture, people, food and environment

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
Peanut brittle


John Minary, Photographer

1) What is your role at field base?
Making tea

2) What three things could you not live without?
• Teabags
• Kettle
• Fresh water

3) If you were stuck in the jungle, which person dead or alive, would you want to be with and why?
Nils Wieboldt – because he puts a smile on your face every morning and he makes me cups of tea

4) What attracted you to working in Borneo?
Tea plantation

5) What is your favourite Raleigh ration?
Tinned sardines

Interviews with the remaining field base team members will appear when they return from the Loop. They are currently visiting the team at Sepilok and will move onto Imbak Canyon tomorrow before heading home to a rapturous welcome on Saturday.

Oonagh Hayes, stand-in roving reporter while Hayley is away on project sites...


18 comments:

stevefblog said...

To Emma F
Hope you are having a really good time, looks like a lot of fun with many exciting adventures ahead. Take care love mum and dad

Martha said...

Hi Stephen Nunes Alpha4, joyce just had a look at your pictures and thinks you are very happy looking.Spain won the world cup.Hope you enjoying the experience. Love Mum and Joyce

Becky said...

Abby you look so so so preeeeeeetty.
I miss you a little bit, love Toots xxx

MUM said...

Hi Manisha Alpha One, How r u doing, hope eating,sleeping well, no more further bites, is all your equipment ok. did u take enough of everything. trying to tidy your part of the room, I think it may take me longer then it will take you to build the kindergarten, I don't no if that is a good thing or bad. let u decided.I am off for another 4 weeks. miss u - Love MUM

Jess said...

Hi Tinks - (ISABEL BURGESS)

It's Jess and Barb. We have some fab news for you....YOU ARE LIVING IN ISLINGTON NEXT YEAR....but even better....SINGLE ROOM...SELF CATERED!!! wahoooooooooooooo!!!!! :)
Matty Jones is also in islington so there is a guarenteed free lunch once in a while!!
Hope all is great and you are not missing us too much- haha!
lOVE YOU xxx

hans.kjaersgaard said...

For Nick Alpha 3. Sent email as we discovered that Granfer did first para jump on Weston Green.
Look forward to hearing from you and in a couple of weeks
Love from Windsor

Caroline said...

Hi Alannah
You are 18 in 30 mins BST. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping you are having a great time.Got lots to tell you, but will write to you tomorrow. Hope you are having fun.Missing u loads
love mummy.xxxxxxx

MUM said...

Hi Manisha, hope u r having alot of fun and Borneo is what u imagined it would be. Asked Shen to come round yesterday as i made tomato sac and roti. me and v went to asda to do a bit of shopping in the evening. J last day at school, everyone hear says hello. ba was also asking about u. no post for u. all is well here. take care, hope to hear from u soon. love MUM

Barb and Rob Burgess said...

Message for Izy Burgess

Hi Izy,
Hope you are having a great time. Great news about next year. Lookinpg forward to seeing the pictures. Take lots
Love Dad

Sinead said...

To Deborah Oxley

Hey Debs
Thanks for your letter - it sounds that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Mum seemed to appreciate your letter -esp the epi pen bit. I hope no more monkeys are under your pillow. I was at ashford today as they had an intro/ induction for the new F2 - the doctors responsible for our training seem quite nic. I have got my rota for the first 6 weeks - I do my first set of nights, during the last wk of Aug - but I am working the wkd of your bday - sorry, I can't change it. I have now inly got 2 weeks at KCH and I have 3.5 days to take, plus next week I am doing some audit thing - next week is when the new F1s start, it is scary to think that that was me last year! Get this there was a BULL in the grounds of KCH, by the dialysis unit, it had escaped from the farm next door. I finally explored the outlet centre at Ashford, its okay, i did treat myself to a jumper though. I'm sure you are eager to know/ learn what is the latest on Cheryl Cole and malaria - she has been transferred from UCL to a private hospital. Robbie Williams is going to rejoin TAKE THAT in Nov time and that are recording an album together, so they are back for good!
Lots and lots and lots of love

Sinead + Mum

Ramji said...

Hi Manisha (alpha one), how the devil are you? hope you are having fun in middle of all that hard work you must be doing everyday. Its hard to imagine you being any lighter but i bet you will come back few pounds lighter. how is the food and stuff there? take care..best wishes..Ramji

jay said...

Hi there ange is me jay here...how r u doin in k.k?i just got my new gmail...so i hope u will receive this message..i b waiting for your reply.Take care

Linda M said...

Message for Catherine Melis

Hi Babes!
Just letting you know that I'd intended to write letter no 2 this week-end but, instead, have been writing and re-writing a letter to BA as Dave is not involved in the matter at this time.
I'll write it tomorrow or Tuesday, though don't expect anything exciting as my life at the moment is dull, dull, dull! I've resorted to making inadvisable online searches for past acquaintances to entertain myself!
At time of writing you are half way through phase one and I'm really hoping that you are able to phone home before phase two. I do hope that things are going well for you all.
Missing you so much!
Bye for now
Loads of love from Mum xxx

Veena said...

hey manisha (Alpha one) Hope your doing well and weather is ok.. hope your eating ok too!! HOpe you've recieved our post! more is on the way to you so hope you get that too! Same old here! Been doing the pillows today! How fun! Went to work yday.. quite a few ppl asked about u.. mers, lyn, neeta, purvi, mary, olinda and dave lol... you got a massive fan club!! Cant wait to hear from you!! Missing you loads.. love you veena x

David Blakemore said...

Message for Danielle Lightfoot (alpha 4)

Hey hun, just wanted to say hello and that everyone here misses you, hope your having fun and making lots and lots of new friends.
nothing new is happening here, just the usual, i dont know who won the widnes batley match but i think it was widnes. erm, oh yea, had the open day today, what a waste of time that was but ill tell you about it when you get back.
erm, what else, erm............ nope cant think of anything else.
ill see you soon
lots of hugs and kisses
Dave

John said...

to Alexandra Gell,
Hope all going well with you. Porto Santo weather not so good first week, dull and windy but warm enough for tennnis- beach-surf boarding etc.
The web photos look that you are in a happy group so trust all enjoying a good and useful time.
Best wishes,
G,P,J,S,J & M

MUM said...

Hi Manisha, hope all is well your end. weather keep good. looked at updates,a picture of group alpha one appeared but u were not on there.hope u r ok. not much rain here since u left it has always been dry and sunny. every thing ok here. nothing new. jayna finished painting her room. i'm still tidying your side of room.really want to no whats happening at your end. miss u loads. Love u - MUM

Anusha said...

Narin (3)
Thank yoooou for the card :) I am guessing you got a family member to post it!
Miss you loads xxxx